Book Club Discussion Questions
If you'd like to download the single-page, printer-friendly PDF of the book club discussion questions for Breaker CLICK HERE.
Breaker Book Club Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, Blaise feels like he has no options and
no hope of a better life. Why did he feel this way? Do you think he really
had so few options?
2. What do you think were the main themes? What made them stand out to you?
3. Which character or characters did you relate to the most, and why?
4. What surprised you the most about the novel? Why?
5. Blaise and Jack each have their own playlist (listed at the back of the book). The list is not exhaustive, and more songs are on their actual playlists than are shown. What songs would you add to their playlists and why?
6. Were there times when you disagreed with the actions of one of the characters? What would you have done differently, and how might it have changed the outcome?
7. If Breaker were adapted into a movie or TV show, who do you think would play the major characters?
8. Breaker takes place in a late-1800’s era second world (i.e. not our earth, but similar). How might it have played out differently if it were moved to a different time period and/or setting?
9. Did your opinion of the book change as you read it? How?
10. The mages all have unique types of magic. If you were a mage, what sort of magic would you like to have, and why? (You can create a new type that didn’t exist in the book.)
11. Did your opinion on Jack change by the end of the book? Why or why not?
12. Blaise’s mother Marian is something of an enigma. What do you think might be going on with her?
13. If you had to choose between trusting Jack or Jefferson more, who would you choose? Why?
14. Based on the information provided by Jack, how do you think Blaise’s life would have been different if he had been born and trained in Phinora as a theurgist from a young age?
15. What do you think will happen next after the conclusion of the book?